Zachary and Lauren at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort
One of Savannah's beautiful squares
BBQ at Disney's Hilton Head Resort
Zachary (on the left) waiting in line for the water slide at the Disney Resort
Hilton Head Island, SC
Lunch at the Salty Dog Cafe, Hilton Head, SC
The Lady and Sons Restaurant (Paula Deen's restaurant in Savannah, GA)
Lauren in Hilton Head
Face painting at the Disney Resort
One of our favorite vacation spots is Hilton Head Island, South Carolina. It seems like we find something new to do each visit! We have always flown there in the past, but decided to be really adventurous and drive this time.
On the first leg of our trip, we drove to Asheville, NC. When we arrived, we ate at a seafood restaurant with live jazz music, and then got dessert at The Chocolate Fetish. I couldn't pass up a truffle called "Blossom," with the following description: "A must try for any Chocolate lover, this Truffle offers a rich Dark Chocolate center subtly flavored with lemon zest, a touch of ginger, and a hint of saffron encased in a Dark Chocolate shell and garnished with a candied Violet blossom." It was quite an unusual combination of flavors!
The next morning, we toured the Biltmore House before heading out of town (see pictures below).
With bikes and kayak in tow, we finally arrived at Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort. We stayed in Hilton Head for most of the week, but we did take one day to drive to Savannah, GA, to tour the city and eat at Paula Deen's restaurant. Here are some other things we did on our vacation:
* Went on a dolphin watching boat ride
* Kayaked with dolphins VERY nearby (less than a paddle length away at times)
* Went to the beach (and found creatures/items such as a horshoe crab, jellyfish, shells, and sharks' teeth)
* Swam at the Disney resort's pool, which has a very fun water slide
* Attended Disney events (Campfire with S'mores, BBQ, Pool Party, Fireworks, Low Country Shrimp Boil, Magnet painting activity, Beachcombers activity, Marsh exploration activity, Alice in Wonderland's Un-Birthday Party)
* Climbed 114 steps to the top of the lighthouse in Harbourtown
* Caught crabs using crab nets and shrimp
* Ate at delicious Hilton Head restaurants
* Rode bikes
On the way home, we stopped overnight in Knoxville, TN, but we didn't stay to see much of the town. Our fine Knoxville dining consisted of Papa John's pizza that night!
We've almost settled back into our routine, although it may not be completely normal for a while due to my upcoming job change! I will soon be working as a nurse practitioner at a pediatrics office three days a week and at a family practice office once a week. I've enjoyed the OB-GYN world but have always loved pediatrics! David continues as one of ten partners in his law firm, specializing in civil litigation. The kayak that we hauled to Hilton Head was David's early Father's Day present.
Zachary's baseball season is in full swing (no pun intended) now. He has already attended baseball and basketball camps since school has been out! Lauren loves her gymnastics class at preschool and is counting down to the start of kindergarten in the fall. Both Zachary and Lauren will attend zoo camp and farm camp in the next several weeks. Summer tends to fly by around here!